In the framework of TAP’s Social and Environmental Investment (SEI) programme, the three reading rooms and the archive of the “Vexhi Buharaha” Library now have completely new furniture. In addition, TAP also donated 400 books (new titles), further enriching the library’s book collection.
TAP’s Country Manager for Albania Ad-Interim, Michele Elia, said: “TAP is a project contributing to decarbonisation in Europe, especially in its host countries. We truly believe that a more sustainable future can only be built through quality education, care for the environment, and attention to safety. That’s why we are investing in these three areas in Albania. We are proud to support the Municipality of Berati with new library furniture and a fire protection system. The library is now both functional and safe.”
Berati Mayor, Petrit Sinaj, thanked TAP for their continued cooperation on implementing social projects. “The renovation of the library building was completed more than a year ago but only today the library was opened thanks to TAP’s investment in furniture and fire protection system, offering modern conditions and facilities. On behalf of all the visitors and members, I thank you for your investment because only by contributing to knowledge can we create a better future for young people.”
After the Library was opened to the public, a group of students from the Berati high school were the first ones to register as members. TAP’s Country Manager for Albania Ad-Interim and the Berati Mayor handed their library membership cards.
The “Vexhi Buharaja” Library could not have been opened to the public after the 2016 reconstruction, because it did not have the adequate furniture required for its reading rooms and archive. The 35,000 books were being stored on shelves and on the ground in the archive room. Thanks to TAP’s investment, Berat readers can now use all three reading rooms of the “Vexhi Buharaja” Library, while the archive is now equipped with shelves for storing the books.
Abkons, TAP’s contractor for SEI projects, handled the design and carried out all the works for furnishing the "Vexhi Buharaja" Library.
Completed Social and Environmental Investment Projects in Albania
- Renovation of the “Andon Profka” gym in Seman, Fier (June 2015)
- Reconstruction of the two-lane Çorovoda bridge (October 2016)
- First phase of the awareness campaign on road, home, and work safety (2016)
- First round of internships for students (December 2016)
- Humanitarian aid for communities impacted by floods and harsh weather (February 2017)
- Construction of two panoramic structures on the Osumi Canyon in Çorovoda (June 2017)
- Complete reconstruction of the “Thanas Ikonomi” school in the Grecalli village, Fieri (June 2017)
- Donations of uniforms and equipment to firefighting services (August 2017)
- Renovation of the “7 Dëshmorët” school in Struma, Roskovec (September 2017)
- Second phase of the awareness campaign on road, home, and work safety (October 2017)
- Second round internships for students (December 2017)
- Humanitarian aid for communities impacted by floods in Fieri and Berati (December 2017)
- Reconstruction of the “Fuat Babani” school in Bilisht, including the installation of a new heating system (December 2017)
- Clean-up of Osumi River in Berat (December 2017)
- Provision of benches for Tirana’s main square (January 2018)
- Air conditioning system installed in the “Zylyftar Veleshnja” school in Çorovoda (January 2018)
- Donation of 1’000 decorative Trees for the Municipality of Tirana (March 2018)
- Provision of furniture for the City Library in Berat
- Rehabilitation of the Water Supply System in Mbrostar, Fier
- Reconstruction of the Gjon Mili Museum, Korca.
- Third round of Internships